Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Storage Bench!

Of course I found this great idea on Pinterest! I decided to use the bins (from Walmart) under the bench to store books for my students to use when they have free time. (Don't mind the messy labels! I haven't changed them for this year yet) Last year I had all of my books accessible to my students and the second I turned my back, they were ripped or colored in! So this year I decided to separate the books that I  read aloud during circle time and keep them close to my desk. I still have plenty of books readily available for my kiddos under this new bench that my dad helped me make this summer! Here are the steps to making this great bench!
 
 



Materials:
-3 crates
-one piece of wood measured and cut to fit across the crates
-quilt batting or cushion batting (mine came from Walmart in the sewing section)
-1-2 yards of fabric (I got 2 yards and I had some left over)
-zip ties
-staple gun
-6 screws with 6 stabilizers
-Drill or screwdriver


1. Find three crates that are the same size.

2. Zip tie the crates together in a few different areas to make it extra sturdy!

3. Strategically screw in the screws to the wood so they will fit between holes in the crates

4. If needed cut batting to the size of the piece of wood

5. Place fabric on the floor so the "pretty" side is facing down, then lay batting on top.

6. Place piece of wood on top of the materials on the floor so it can be stapled.

7. Tightly pull fabric around all sides of the wood and batting and staple with the staple gun.

8. Place finished bench top on top of the crates and screw the stabilizers onto the screws.

9. ENJOY!


There are definitely many other ways to create this bench but this is how my dad and I did it. I hope the directions made sense!

Chelsea

0 comments:

Post a Comment